Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Manhattan

        Bookcon was held in Manhattan for the last two years, next year it will be in Chicago, and since we went to NYC, my dad likes it my mom likes my sister likes it and I like it. The last time we were there ( for the second Bookcon ) we walked around Times Square ( it has a lot of lights ), we got really good pizza in Times Square too, we went to the top of the Empire State Building ( not the observation deck, you have to pay even MORE to get up there, but I was fine with staying at the, I think it was the 86th floor, ) there's 102 floors on the Empire State Building, or is there? Now my dad has a book thing ( my dad is an author ) and it's in Manhattan so we are going to NYC for the weekend, and my dad said we might go to Manhattan for Christmas because it's fun. My dad also has another book thing in the Key West in Florida next year, and that will be fun.

       At 9:40 on Saturday July 28, 1945, Lieutenant Colonel William Franklin Smith Jr. crashed a B-25 Mitchell Bomber airplane into the Empire State Building between the79th and the 80th floors, where the National Catholic Welfare Council  business was. An engine flew through the building and kept flying for almost a block and landed on the roof of a building, started a fire and a penthouse was destroyed. The other engine and part of a landing gear went into and elevator shaft and snapped the elevator cable and Elevator Operator Betty Lou Oliver elevator set the world record for surviving a 75 story elevator drop.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment